Sunday, September 14, 2014

Strengths Hunter

I read a book about happiness (big surprise) and found a section that helps you determine what your strengths are. Because quite simply, the more of your life you spend doing the things you're great at, the happier you are. I actually went through it with Dena, so that we could get two points of view.

Mine:

1. Gratitude.
2. Optimism.
3. Open-Mindedness.
4. Enthusiasm.
5. Humor.

Dena's:

1. Faith.
2. Humility.
3. Kindness.
4. Honesty.
5. Prudence.

They all sound pretty good!

I suppose my five work well in just about any pursuit, but they surely help out when teaching. Every student in my care, every aspect of my abilities is a precious gift, including humor. Some students are angry, uninspired, troubled, opinionated - open-mindedness helps. And when the mind is stuck or despaired in math problem quagmire, optimism and enthusiasm get us through.

No comments: