Friday, September 26, 2014

Roadkill For One

I was driving down one of the side streets en route to the public library. What I like about side streets is that, in a town flooded with stop signs and stop lights, you can set the cruise control to 30mph and feel like you're gliding for a while.

You still have to pay attention, you know. This street in particular had some legendary potholes which, during the tricky times of winter that mask what's beneath, surely swallowed up a car or two. On a clear fall day like this I had no concern for car-sucking potholes, though.

Just the 2-day old roadkill. I say "roadkill" with a mix of dispassion and satisfaction, because my favorite type of rodent is one that's not moving, even the most cuddly kind like this ex-squirrel in front of me.

I was a little unprepared for the buzzard though.

Again I can say with overall serenity that I am thankful that this is the first buzzard I've ever seen. It suggests that, generally speaking, there is an insufficient long-dead-mammal supply to meet buzzard demand in this area. The majestic wingspan of the stoop-necked bird fit the cartoon caricature to a tee. However, I was a bit startled at the same time.

It flew away as I approached, which is understandable given the predatory appearance of a silver Honda Civic.

I can either chalk this up as a remarkable once-in-a-lifetime moment for me, or as a seriously flawed experiment by the town sanitation department to save on their truck budget.

No comments: