Thursday, May 29, 2008

Assistant Coach

Well what do you know? I have a volunteer to be my assistant basketball coach at the YMCA next fall!

I often mention to people that I'd been in the market for someone to join me. A lot of things have to intersect in order to find the right person, though:

1. Likes kids enough to coach them.
2. Does not have kids of his own, i.e. actually has free time.
3. Confident enough to coach.
4. Willing to assist, rather than to be "in charge."
5. Humble enough to work with me, rather than competing with me.

I was visiting with a co-worker who's a young employee in the Actuarial Department. Without prompting, he offered his services. I think we have potential to work really well together. Plus, he actually played forward in school, and those are the skills that I'm least familiar with.

Through the years I've learned to appreciate the gradual march to success through a series of small, significant steps. This could be one!

No comments: