Thursday, May 22, 2008

Good Job

Today while I was waiting for Mom to be checked out of the hospital I stood lazily, gazing down the hallway, and noticed a lady in a shower cap. After watching her for a few seconds it was clear that she was a custodian, heading in to clean a patient's restroom. Considering the general inability of hospital patients to care for themselves, I figured that to be one messy job. I remembered a friend who lost a desk job and could only find work as a CNA - the folks in the hospitals who change bedpans among other things. His words were "This is the worst paying job I've had in my life, and it's the longest and hardest I've had to work in my life." He was in his fifties, and had been an executive for a medium-sized company.

Then I got to thinking about how dull or rough I perceive my job to be sometimes, and then about how extremely grateful I'd be if I were just handed my current job after having worked in one of these hospital positions. I mean, I'd be off the charts thankful, for a whole litany of reasons.

So much of life is the way we look at it. Perspective is everything.

No comments: