Monday, May 19, 2008

Ergonomic Review

The physical therapist said that I should ask my employer for an ergonomic review to see if my work space could be improved, to minimize any possible strain on the old ilio lumbar ligament (my back).

Actually, there are some options. Facts:

1. As a general rule, the eyes should be 18-24 inches from the monitor. Also, the eyes should be even with the top of the monitor, to alleviate the strain of looking up while reading.

2. The forearms and wrists should be parallel, rather than the wrists being crooked up or down.

3. The feet should be flat on the floor, and the thighs parallel to the ground.

My deal:

Because the height of my desk is fixed, the only way to satisfy items #2 was to raise my chair up. Which meant violating #3, since putting my feet flat on the floor meant angling my legs slightly downward, straining the back.

Solution:

Foot rests! Actually, a couple, one for each direction that I normally face. As a bonus, since we were on the topic, I requested a new chair without arm rests. Those things just bang against the desk whenever I try to roll close. Freedom!

No comments: