Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What's Right is What's Right

"As a leader you must be sincerely committed to what's right, rather than who's right." -- John Wooden

I once had a boss who e-mailed to me that rumors were circulating based on my actions, and asked me to change my behavior in response. My human instinct was to prove my innocence, and it took a few minutes to settle down and think more clearly. In the big picture did it really matter whether or not I was right (who started the rumor, what actions were referred to, etc.)? What was more important was right action going forward. During my next scheduled meeting with the boss, I laid out a handful of actions I'd done which might have started the rumor (one of which involved placing a photo of Dena and me on my desk!). To me, each was clearly not an improper move, but I didn't give my opinion -- I just waited for his response.

Had I defended my actions and set a negative tone, perhaps he'd have felt compelled to defend his source. Perhaps he'd have come up with other actions that I'd overlooked, causing more face to be lost.

What happened was that he took my side, revealing his source and the report he received in detail!

The more I try to practice the art of neutrality, of just sticking to the facts and focusing on the greater good, the more sunny results continue to happen.

No comments: