Thursday, January 15, 2009

On Target

As expected, I hit my target heart rate of 160 beats per minute today thanks to the elliptical machine at the health club. The thirty minutes of action ended a multiple-month hiatus from aerobic exercise of any kind, so my aim was modest - just establish some benchmark settings of resistance and difficulty in order to reach the magic number. Due to extreme cold causing a snow day, Four Seasons was packed with students ejected from their parents' homes to relieve some cabin fever. It was pleasing to note that even under those unusually crowded circumstances, there were plenty of open machines to choose from. Each one had its own built-in cable T.V. with headphone jack, with reading ledge for holding a paper or small magazine. I got to thinking that I could probably print off a few e-mails from work to catch up on if this settles into a routine. In an hour, I think I could fit in a 350-calorie workout, a quick shower, and travel time to return home. Will reality meet theory?

No comments: