Thursday, January 1, 2009

Phlegm-Buoyant

It's the season for head colds, and Dena and I are bonding through a shared germy experience together. I'll tell you why this is so great. In the mornings I wake up thinking "If I can get my feet on the floor, I'm going to feel a heck of a lot better in an hour than I feel right now." The human body is a remarkable thing. Somehow once I start ambling around the house - no matter what speed - it's like my respiratory system panics like a lazy babysitter when then the parents get home and starts sweeping all the accumulated crud out the door. So a half hour, ten tissues, and several emphatic guttural noises later I've transformed from a nasal kazoo to my normal human form. Coupled with the wearing off of last night's alcohol-laden Nyquil and a fresh morning dose of Sudafed PE, I feel like the answer to a riddle: "What gets higher the emptier it gets?" With momentum like that, what could possibly stop me the rest of the day?

No comments: