Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Properly Placed Pebbles

From Lou Tice:

Here in the United States, we inaugurate a new President today. As I write
this, it is early morning, and the ceremony is several hours away. It is a
memorable day in American history, and there is a fair amount of pressure on
one man to solve the problems of the world. I'm here today to remind all of
us that one person cannot solve the challenges of the world. That is the
work for each one of us.

If you want to, you can find problems in every part of the globe. Set your
mind to find them, and it won't take you long to fill a very large piece of
paper, perhaps an entire notebook. Personally, I prefer to look for
opportunities to change the way things "are" by asking the question, "What
would it look like if it was fixed?" Then I ask myself, "What can I do to
help?"

When I was very young, I looked for ways to make "the big-time." How could I
make the big splash and solve a problem, and I would wait to find the "big
deal." It was more ego than anything else. As I matured - especially after I
learned the information I impart to you - I learned that you can't wait
around for the big-splash opportunity. If you do, you will accomplish
nothing.

Each of us needs to look for solutions to the challenges around us, no
matter how small. If you walk past the small things, you will never be in a
position to make a bigger difference. We also deny the opportunity for the
"ripple effect" to go to work. You know the ripple effect: drop a pebble in
a pond and watch the ripples moving out from where you dropped the pebble.
Eventually these ripples touch every part of the pond. You and I, each of
us, has the potential to be that pebble, hopefully for the good of all.

So today, let's start taking accountability for our little corners of the
world. Be the pebble for positive change in what you see. With enough
pebbles, we'll see a wave of positive change sweep around the globe.

No comments: