Friday, August 7, 2009

Trust Muster

"Trust is developed through open and honest communication and, once established, creates a shared vision for a common goal." - Mike Krzyzewski

Today one of the supervisors who reports to me was discussing possible plans for career development of one of our employees. We pondered whether a certain cross-training plan with another one of my supervisors might be the way to go. In fact, it seemed to have some promise. But I much prefer, and try to insist, on getting input from all affected parties when making a decision. So when we called in the other supervisor, it was important to me to lay the idea out there as the brainstorm that it was - nothing more or less, otherwise the idea naturally puts a person on the defensive. And quickly the original idea was replaced by a much better one, one that gathered some excitement from both supervisors as I was privileged to sit back and watch it unfold.

It's a beautiful thing to me - to be part of an environment where ideas are impartially exchanged and evaluated for the common good, without uninformed and stifling pressure from upper management over a half-baked idea. Trust blooms!

No comments: