Friday, September 3, 2010

Emotional Soap

"People say that motivation doesn't last. Neither does bathing. That's why we recommend it daily." - Zig Ziglar

Most every motivational habit that passes through my head, no matter how appealing or powerful, has faded away over time. Like dieting, some great ambitions like repeating a certain phrase every morning or saying a prayer at a certain time of day eventually seem to slide.

Someone asked me this week why I attended the Get Motivated! conference. "What is it you're supposed to be motivated FOR?" is the relevant question. Maybe it's a sign of weakness, but I just find that the habit of cleansing myself with positive thoughts in various creative and sometimes repetitive ways is essential for keeping away the plaque of despair, fear or anger that pollutes the idle mind. Yes, motivation is cheap - and so is brushing and flossing. It's best for me as a daily practice, as valuable to a productive mental state as water is to the physical.

No comments: