Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Priceless Past

"If history books were the key to riches, the Forbes 400 would consist of librarians." - Warren Buffett

In the stock market, price is important to many people. The news report every evening highlights the performance of the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the Standard & Poor's 500 that day. But maturity in the market, as in life, places little value on the fluctuations of a single day. On Friday I was pretty weary in the afternoon, and less productive than I am on my best days. Did my value as an employee drop? Naw, just needed a bit of extra rest. This weekend I found a burst and got some catch-up work done as a result.

The failures of the past and the present don't have to be indicative of who we become. Our destiny for success depends on us seeing it, rather than some false projection from the miscues of the recent past. Our mood, like those of the fickle market, will surge again soon.

No comments: