Monday, March 14, 2011

Battle: Los Angeles

I come a-runnin' to the theater at the first sight of monsters terrorizing the earth. The previews of Battle: LA looked a lot like that. Mysterious "meteors" plunge off the coast of seventeen countries, and the movie's entire plot centers around the landing site near Santa Monica.

Why are they here? It's revealed.

What do they want? The previews give a pretty good indication as the first creatures storm the beach with lasers blasting.

What surprised me is that this movie is much closer to Independence Day than, say, War of the Worlds or Cloverfield. For the most part, the aliens were not gigantic. This was more of a war movie disguised as an alien movie, featuring hand-to-hand combat with creatures maybe a foot taller, and quite killable. Still, once beyond that realization, it was a movie of hardscrabble spirit and world patriotism against the enemy, battling the odds for survival.

You might find yourself ducking eyes for ten minutes or so as the soldiers first meander through the deserted city and the viewer waits for spooks to jump out of the haze Friday-the-13th style. If you liked Saving Private Ryan, you'll probably take to this one - and want to see it in the theater.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One and a half thumbs up. I still say they let the aliens loose too early in the movie. Ruined the anticipation.

And was I really that obvious when I threw my hands up over my face and peeked thru my eyes 20 times in the first 30 minutes? Sorry, but there needed to be more between me and that biologically elecrtonic monster!!

Fun date w/ you guys...as always!!