Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fantasy Date

Last night was my first ever life fantasy baseball draft, over at Scott and Lisa's. Not surprisingly, it was a roomful of entertaining guys... including a handful of high school seniors and Scott's brother and father-in-law and father-in-law, among others. It started out with a live auction. Each team started out with a certain budget of fantasy dollars, and I took the strategy of a typical expansion team (which I was). Avoid the big-buck marquee players, fill the roster by hunting the bargain bin. I was pleased with who I got. I'm counting on some young players to reach the next level, some veterans to hold steady at their current level, and some to regain their former levels. A somewhat dicey mix, but again for a newcomer I got what I wanted out of it. Preparation makes the difference, and the self-designed spreadsheet in my lap funneled me the info needed to get a balanced roster as I keyed in each drafted player. The team's not the best on paper, but it's competitive and has a shot at a top three finish.

Opening pitch is Thursday afternoon. Play ball!

No comments: