Monday, March 14, 2011

Car Pull

I think my car is made of a magnetic substance.

I was cruising in the right lane. Eventually, I needed to turn right. For now, the car in front of me was drawing closer, a couple miles under the speed limit as the tractor-beam-like force of my vehicle sucked it back to impede my progress.

I slipped into the left lane and continued at cruising speed. As soon as the front of my car began to nose ahead, the other car began to accelerate. If only I'd realized the science at work, I wouldn't have been so vexed.

I accelerated harder, finally outrunning the vehicle and shifting back to the right lane at my original speed. Like other magnets, the rear end of my vehicle must have had the same charge as the front of the other car, as it repelled back to its creeping pace.

Such a fine line between physics and road rage!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do they call that in nascar? Drafting!?? Physics, road rage, racing technique....it's up for grabs!

Anonymous said...

What do they call that in nascar? Drafting!?? Physics, road rage, racing technique....it's up for grabs!

Lola Takes Pictures said...

It's actually called "Hyper Miling." At least that's what I tell everyone when I do it. ;)