Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Reservations Of Two Varieties

How about a dinner in a nice restaurant for our 13th anniversary? For protective purposes I'll say that we settled on a well-regarded steak house with generations of history. Sitting in my office at work one fine afternoon, I pulled out the phone book and dialed the number.

One quick ring, and the receiver picked up. I started to put my smiling radio voice on, patiently waiting for the greeting on the other end of the line. It came:

"Bet you're REALLY pissed off now, aren't ya?" barked a female 50-something into my ear.

Stunned. Mental chaos erupts. Furtive glance toward the number I dialed on the phone display. Verifying glance toward the phone book in front of me. Match. Somehow I'd expected something a tad more polished.

"H...hello?" I asked.

Horrified gasp.

"OH... my hahahaha... oh sorry... I... haHAhaHAha... thought you... I just got disconnected from my daughter and she was telling me about what a day she was having and... oooohhh... a-hem. Good afternoon, So-And-So's Steak House, how may I help you?"

"Oh, no problem, that's too funny. I was just wondering if I could make dinner reservations for two for tonight at 6:00?"

"Ha, ha, ha... oh of course... heh heh... tonight at 6:00, what's the name?"

"McDonald."

"We've got you down and look forward to seeing you tonight!"

After I hung up, I was thinking that I should've asked for the best table in the house and she'd have readily agreed. Heck, I probably could've asked for free meals for a month. But men in love don't think of such things. :)

No comments: