Sunday, March 6, 2011

Quick Trip

"If you want to make sure that you're never in charge or that you won't be in charge for much longer, then act like you deserve to be in charge."

This week I sat in a meeting on a complicated topic at the office. A group of people were there looking for education about a new product coming out, so that they could in turn train other employees. A fellow actuary was in the room too who's a decade younger than me, is the central actuary on the project, and is a relative latecomer to the tax topic that I was the subject matter expert on.

When the agenda reached the tax topic, my co-worker launched ahead and discussed it. I merely had to sit there and nod agreement occasionally. I could have forged into the conversation with colorful facts, but as the senior actuary in the room I found pleasure in watching others command the situation. Is there some beauty to witnessing a team so independently capable that the management in the room doesn't need to say a word? I think so.

No comments: