Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Lucky 13

70 degree weather was a vivid Monday reminder of that day 13 years ago when Dena walked down the aisle to exchange vows with me and kick off a fabulous journey together.

Back then, before daylight savings time was advanced, the midafternoon reception was just right for the sun to sparkle over the water into the stately hall at Miller Park where our friends and family gathered.

Back then, my anal retentive diagram of where the tables should go (because they asked for one, I swear) was utterly disregarded by the facility manager - who put out exactly no tables. It wasn't the first time I exerted hyperdetailed energies for naught, nor the last - but the years since have given great perspective about the use of expending it.

Back then, I had this vision of making an impressive church side door entrance just long enough to capture the audiences' eye majestically. I did - a heartbeat after "here comes the bride" started playing, and everyone had stood up and was riveted on the back of the church, resulting in the most unnoticed groom entrance in history. People who didn't know me probably thought my brother was getting married. Poetic justice against a guy who likes being the center of attention a bit too much, and still trying to change.

A little heavier, grayer... hopefully calmer, happier... and still as much in love. For some reason, she's still in love with me too. :)

Happy anniversary Dena!

No comments: