Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Old Glory, What A Summer!

Saturday was one of the last days of true summer weather we'll see in these parts this year. This week's filled with thick clouds, drizzly skies, and temps peaking around 60. Frost is just around the corner.


I snapped this photo one morning recently when it was still warm enough to wear shorts. Seeing the American flag on display as I walk to the car to start the day is a touching reminder of how good things are. Have I taken the time to appreciate that?

Sometimes, or often, we spend winters pining for fairer climates while yanking the hood tightly around our face to prevent the wind from whipping us a new shade of ruddy. Now that a very favorable season of weather is winding down...

... did I open the windows as often as we could?
... did I take a long walk through leafy trees?
... did I play outside a bit?
... did I simply sit once in a while, feeling the breezes, breathing the fresh air, listening to nature?
... did I give thanks for the freedom and circumstance to do all these things?

Yes!

Someday we'll ask these types of questions when life enters its final season. So many opportunities for happiness lie ahead. How well will we cherish them, relish them, savor them as they arrive?

No comments: