Monday, October 24, 2011

Tale Of The Noblest Knight, Chapter 4

With his progress having slowed beneath a snail's retreat, prince Joseph sat with re-mustered courage thoughtfully upon his Saturn steed.

"The queen mother's heart should be moved to great despair, were it to be revealed to her the thickets of humanity that weigh upon a task so meek. To put beside my signature a Medallion seal, a mere affirmation of my rightful stature as her son, so as to add brother John to our father's inheritance. Yet no castle within an eagle's flight presents itself worthy of the service to this tortured soul. Some too small, the rest such as the castles of PNC Bank be possessed with the greediest manner of evil itself."

He returned to the magic mirror.

"O mirror who sees beyond the eyes, I entreat thee. Reveal unto me a knight of kindness so deep that it be worth crossing the most treacherous wastelands and mountains under heaven to find him."

"Your wish is known, dutiful son," replied the mirror in its gentle way. "The wisdom that Providence has bequeathed upon your mother measures truly to all who behold it."

At once, a vision struck the prince as brilliantly as purest diamonds.

"Ye gods, the castles of Harris Bank!" Joseph rejoiced. "For as surely as they graced my queen with warm regard, so too ought they to receive her son. Pray tell, how many days' journey is the nearest castle? Find it within you to map my quest, O mirror?"

"'Tis easily traveled by the strength of love," reveled the mirror. "Move swiftly now, and the seal shall be yours before shadows grow long. You shall find your knight at the castle Channahon."

Prince Joseph and his Saturn made off with speed that none could compare, tightly clutching the scroll and sacks of treasure. Even the winds sensed the triumph at hand, regaling their path with haste.

And behold, the castle Harris Bank of Channahon lay before them, a pearly gate against the beckoning sky of such glory that no angel could improve.


'Twas no mere maiden, but the castle's princess Patti herself that greeted the weary yet indefatigable prince at the gateway.

"Fate smiles upon us to have you in our midst!" she exclaimed.

"My princess, I am a man of the world," the prince said with humble genuflection and a kiss of her hand. "My travels have taught me well that I must make account with those who would serve me with a Medallion seal."

"No greater honor could grace me. Would you be so kind as to rest your legs in the comfort of this seat, while I tailor an account more completely to your needs than even you might have ever known to ask?"

She proceeded so enchantingly, with words so sweet, that time and the sun itself stood still. As if from a cloud came a tall and handsome man with sparkling eyes and hair of brilliant silver.

"Hi, are you Joseph? I'm Mark Thelo," said the hallowed knight.

"Are you the knight who may fulfill the great honor of my mother the queen's request? To affix the Medallion seal upon my signature and save the good name of my father's inheritance?"

He returned his gaze with unwavering resolve. "Yes, I'm the manager here. Let's go back to my office and have a look!"

Prince Joseph revealed all that had transpired, from the wistfulness of First State Bank of Bloomington, through the devilish knight Todd of PNC Bank on College, and all who had come between.

"Sounds like you've been through the wringer all right," decreed the knight with sympathy unmatched by mere mortals.

"O knight Mark, as proof of my loyalty, I am prepared to wait as long as you require for my account to settle here, so that many seasons from now I may return and be worthy of the seal you hold."

"Oh, that's all right," Mark said. "I can tell by talking with you that you're sincere, and I'll trust that. You've set up an account, we can go ahead and get the signature guaranteed today."

At this prince Joseph's heart leaped so, that the breath nearly left his body and his hands trembled with resounding joy.

"You are truly the manner of man to which even the saints aspire," the prince said with reverence. "The noblest knight, the spirit of kings, a servant more worthy than any master."

"Thanks, glad we could help. Have a nice day!"

And so it was that King John's royal inheritance was rightly bestowed. The treasure lay preserved by the guardians of T. Rowe Price, in the joint ownership of the queen and her beloved princes Joseph and John. The castles of Harris Bank proved their worthiness of highest honor the royal court could provide. A week later, the castles PNC Bank lost an account as quickly as it had been opened. And all the noble people lived happily ever after.

No comments: