Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Year In Review

Optimists are excited as the final hours of the old calendar year wind down and the new one readies to burst freshly into existence.

Writers also have a field day looking back at what's been, and evaluating it. This one's no different.

Here's what came to mind as I was cycling on the stationary bike this afternoon:

School's Fun, Mom

My first full year as an assistant sophomore boys' basketball coach was filled with the taste of victory on the scoreboard. The sophomores went 19-6. The varsity was even better, pulling off a chemistry experiment for the ages as they jelled just in time to take the state by storm in the tournament. Their 4th place finish earned the school's first banner on the gym wall.

This year has been victorious in its own way, as the current sophomores are already closing in on matching their win total for all of last year - just a third of the way into the season. The enthusiasm and cohesiveness of this team is remarkable. And head coach Ryan Short is as good as they come. The more I listen, the better I get, and the better the boys get in turn.

The tutoring experiment has provided exactly what I'd hoped. I've met regularly with three students, and spottily with others. I am starting to feel out the curves and corners of life as a tutor. Exposed to several different math classes, teachers, calculators, text books, learning styles, backgrounds. Refreshing some old concepts, and discovering some new ones that have emerged since my high school days. Ryan's helped me meet several guidance counselors. Everyone is winning this game so far, and the prospects are bright.

Be A Good Sport (Or At Least Tell Yourself That You Are)

I punched three goals into the back of the net in an indoor soccer game. Although I took most of the year off from playing sports, I subbed in a summer soccer game and netted two of our team's three goals. Fluke? Probably. But why admit it, when I can delude myself into thinking I've still got it?

I won the fantasy baseball league. At least, my "primary" one.

You see the theme here. This is a key to my happiness. Forget the losers, remember the winners as being the real me.

Labor Days

This has been my most successful year at the office since returning to the actuarial department. We launched a couple of products, each more successfully than the previous. When we stumbled, we persevered. We also made some significant improvements with our line of group insurance that had been long overdue. Next year my job duties will change significantly and I will be doing more supervising, which is a strength of mine. It's like matching up a plug with a socket. You can light up the whole house.

Dena started as part-time marketing and sales manager at a small bank. Without formal training, she learned on the job and got a good performance review. That's my honey! Supervolunteer is also leading the Kiwanis Club and aiding a person who's running for local elected office. She's probably saving people from burning buildings too, and just not telling me. A heart of velvet, I tell ya.

Hollywood Awaits

I was given the opportunity to sing, play, act and write skits for a summer church school (for your listening pleasure or horror here).

I was contacted recently about performing with a musical group.

Dena gave me a chance to record some commercials for the bank (more entertainment/torture here).

I'm at my best when I'm creating. Music and theater are right in the sweet spot.

Media Shower

Getting a new camera has opened up fun avenues. It's given life to my YouTube channel, Facebook pages, and Twitter accounts.

Meanwhile, all this blogging's increased my speed. Fifty posts monthly has become easy enough, but now with 100 views a day it's become more inspiring to send out closer to sixty, or a couple a day to keep things even fresher.

To Health With The Family Guy

Jack's slowly developing a niche as a crack softball pitcher on the West Coast, as well as a fledgling stand-up comic. He's befriended the kettle bell and all its muscular carvings, and is dating Kate Willson, a sweetheart of a girl by all accounts.

Mom had successful cataract surgery, and is enjoying her new chair.

Dena's brother Kurt got engaged, and sister Zina tied the knot as well. That marries off all seven of the children. With a 50% divorce rate the odds of that happening are like 1%. Mom and Dad know how to stuff the nest!

I lost a friend and eye doctor in Lance Rocke this year, but was able to find a capable successor with Dr. Tallis.

I'm especially pleased with a long-standing mysterious bruised big toes that, through patience and experimentation, will be fully recovered after about a year of effort. Other than the usual creaks, the body's in great physical shape.

And What About Those 2011 Goals?

Ah, yes. The truest compass of my life, the annual goals. Let's go to the scorebook in the next post.

No comments: