Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012 Goals


The new year is nearly here. Let's get this year's blueprint ready, as usual by taking stock of last year's

Happy New Year Hidden Bloggers!

2011

Daily Mental Health Exercise & Measurement, Weekly Journal

I meant for this to be some kind of end-of-day reflection for myself to overcome the fits of entitlement that storm my mind on many days. Maybe a counter of big mistakes and little joys with an attempt for the former to snuff out the latter as the year went on. And in fact, I have been happier this year. It just took a different form. 

I think that my job is the root of much of my stress, because of the time it consumes and the nature of its demands. So I developed a morning ritual with a jigsaw puzzle that has been a gentle and continuous reminder that my career is going according to plan. Lately good tidings have come my way at the office. I like to think it's a reflection of the calmness and confidence that God's given me through this inspiration.

I came late to the weekly journaling, but I did come. That's good enough, right?

Top 10 List of New Acquaintances

Tutoring all by itself has hit this mark. Three guidance counselors, two teachers, and more than five students. My new acquaintances don't have to be captains of industry or lifelong friends, just enough for me to learn something from the relationship. And I can honestly reflect on each person and point to lessons that have taught me how to behave, or not.

I've met several other people at work and elsewhere that have also spiced up my life in ways that make me smile. A life spent smiling is a life well spent.

Expenses at 2010 Level

Wow, we crushed this one. Our baseline last year was $44,000. This year we'll be under $40,000. Becoming a Walmart household was a key. Shifting from vending machines to home-brought snacks helped too. We shifted insurance carriers. Plus a dozen other minor adjustments. We didn't starve ourselves of creature comforts, we just made some better shopping decisions.

Learn About Investing

I barely touched this one. I looked around at a couple magazines, enlisted a couple trial subscriptions, and had a conversation or two. But I'm no closer to improving my portfolio than I was a year ago. I did make a big deposit into the market during a swoon, so buy-low-sell-high was a winner there.

Determine 1 Possible Organization to Participate in During Retirement

Is it a cop-out just because I was already participating in Normal Community High School? I am still stoked whenever I head out to tutor a student. The basketball season is flying by because it's been fun.  Since I've met several new people at NCHS and am still enjoying the view, I'm counting this one good for now. At least I've fortified the idea that teaching and coaching can be a vibrant part of my post-State-Farm future. Whether it's at NCHS or elsewhere remains to be seen.

Increase Max in All Weightlifting Exercises, 12% Body Fat

I did increase, briefly. Got the chest press up to 180 on eight reps, for example. Then my shoulder told me that it was time to take a sabbatical from weight lifting. Still, I kept my body fat convincingly under 12% by stationary biking/jogging six days a week. The shoulder's ready to resume now.

2012

Blog thanks weekly. Dream daily.

That second part seems kind of ethereal, but I'm a believer in daydreaming when what you're seeing is a thoughtfully constructed picture of the future. Life's unpleasantries are much less so when you've got an exciting vision to fall back on, and I do. At a minimum, it's keeping up with the puzzle ritual in the office. And there are countless ways to be thankful and hopeful. That's what this is about.

Make 10 New Acquaintances

This one's a keeper.

Expenses at 2010 Level

I think that we could possibly finish ahead of 2011 with continued good decisions, but we were pretty healthy and our retirement plan would actually allow for higher expenses than 2010. If we stay below that $44,000 baseline we'll be in good shape. If we approach 2011 numbers, better still.

Research A Better Investment

Most of our savings are in mutual funds managed by State Farm. We get some advantages as employees, but there might still be a better deal out there considering their long-run performance. Some research into other mutual funds, or even stocks, could reveal a better investment. And every quarter percent is huge over our time horizon.

Exercise 5+ Days A Week, 12% Body Fat

Routine. But important enough to write down. Health is the pillar of all other happiness.

Find A $12,000 Job

Even in retirement there are hobbies to feed. I should be able to find a job (or self-employment as a tutor or otherwise) to take in retirement that uses my passions, is worth that much, and gives me the freedom I want.

No comments: