Sunday, April 8, 2012

Eat Right Rule

"Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym." - Anonymous

I will say that a high-fiber diet seems to be a key in managing my body shape. Many days I make sure to eat apples, whole-grain breads and cereal. It keeps the useless parts of food passing through quickly.

Since the quote is about abs, I've also found an exercise that engages them recently. Start in a push up position, with two tweaks:

1. Knees are slightly bent, and nearly touching the ground (accomplish this by scooting the toes closer to the head).

2. Hands are gripping dumbbells, such that the dumbbells rather than the hands are in contact with the floor (and so, as you'd figure out comically otherwise, the dumbbells probably ought to have some flat edges on them).

Without twisting your core:

1. Do a push-up.

2. After returning to the starting position, pull one of the dumbbells up toward your chest, then lower it. Repeat with the other hand.

That's one rep. I do about eight reps in my first set, and taper off in subsequent sets. It was pretty torturous the first time I tried it, getting used to the balance and all. I only use about 10 pound weights even now. It brings results though. At first, these results are sweat, grunts of frustration, and wobbly arms. Eventually, it's improved ab strength.

No comments: