Sunday, April 15, 2012

How To Get Them To Work For You

"[At first] it was about me. Now it's less about me and more about everybody else. I look back on my early coaching career: We did good, but I didn't do as good as I'm doing for the kids here now. I feel bad about that, but I didn't know any better. As I've gotten older, life has become easier, and we've won a whole lot more games when it has been about everybody else and not about me. When it's about the players first, they play for you." - John Calipari, coach of the national champion Kentucky Wildcats

I get what he means with "as I've gotten older, life has become easier." It is much harder to grip desperately in an attempt to control my own life and reputation, than it is to focus on taking the best path I can and let the rest take care of itself. Riding the bus is easier than driving it.

No victory is won by a coach alone, and many wins in life depend on a team too. Take care of others, and everyone will win.

No comments: