Saturday, April 21, 2012

There's A Road We Must Travel

The sun's streaming in through the windows at Mom's place this morning.

The last 48 hours were a rising tide of good feelings. We had Hairspray rehearsal on Thursday night and by the end I was dragging big-time. Some combination of sleeping and eating patterns was fueling it, and I suppose it's fair to say that I was constantly on the go from work to tutoring to rehearsal every weeknight for the last two weeks. Hidden Bloggers would notice that I couldn't even squeeze in a post for a few days there.

I flopped on the living room sofa when I got home, and just laid there without thinking much of anything. I knew that I'd feel better once I got some food and sleep in me. The food I got. The sleep - well, it was on the couch.

Morning found me still in a sluggish funk, stirring about uneasily around 6:00 a.m. I knew a long day was ahead. Work, then the Hairspray promo (see earlier post), then rehearsal, then a drive to Mom's that would get me there after midnight. Discouragement was tugging at me, as a non-music reader struggling to grasp the song we'd be singing at the promo.

Then I opened an eye with determination.

I was NOT going to keep picturing defeat and exhaustion. I was going to picture a great day, and make it happen.

I launched myself out of bed early, showered up, YouTubed the promo song for an hour.

Got to the office early, and blazed through my work.

Hit the gym and had a solid workout.

By now I was feeling completely alive.

YouTubed the promo song again. And the promo turned out magnificently, plus we cast members had a mini-social hour leading up to it.

Rehearsal was fruitful. We ran the whole second act. I did much better than I had on Wednesday or Thursday.

Dena and I had a fun trip together up north, had a late-night welcome from Mom, and even had the energy to stay up until 1:00 a.m.

It's ironic that the song, which had fueled some of my frustration, turned out to be so on point in firing up my day for the best:

"There's a road we must travel... but the riches will be plenty, worth the risk and the chances that we take."

Life is either a drag or a beautiful story. It's whichever we choose to make of it, however we choose to see it.

No comments: