Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Fountains Of Youth: The Week In Thanks

Our next door neighbor Stanley recently moved out. He's in his mid-80's and had been negotiating the steep steps of these condos for an amazingly long time, considering his wobbly balance since his heart attack some years back.

This week Dick Clark passed away from a heart attack. For years he was envied by millions as the guy who never aged. But his time, too, has come.

The progress of modern medicine has stretched our lifespans and the definition of "old" further into the future with each passing year, and I am grateful for that.

I'm probably old in the eyes of most of my students... I am at least twice their age after all. But I am still really young by so many measures.

The opportunities I've been blessed with continue to keep me feeling young.

For example, it's a privilege to have been entrusted with the careers of 17 people (and climbing). It's energizing to contemplate what their strengths and passions are, and to do what I can to set them up for success.

We have a major project launching this weekend, and the testing for it went as smoothly as I can remember. That's because of the eye-opening talent of my co-workers, and the gift of experience from God. The trials of past projects have made this one stronger, like so many other struggles that can weigh a person down without these types of visions of future success. The feeling of having overcome challenges with head held high, and to be part of something successful, is a great source of life.

I'm starting to believe that the theater is a fountain of youth. The 50+ year olds in the Hairspray cast prance around on stage, bubble with excitement. The twentysomethings play hide and seek. The energy ripples through rehearsals. What will it be like once there are 200+ spectators in the building - which is a fact, since opening night is on its way to a sellout? And how did I get so lucky to be here?

My resolution to make 10 new acquaintances has been easily surpassed by this theater experience. So many interesting and admirable new people. And so many friends, co-workers and family signing up for tickets. Being part of a community keeps the aging process at bay.

I'm happy to be able to harvest the talents of voice and movement and music and memorization that God gave me. Oh, and given the title, I'm thankful for a thick head of hair, which certainly helps me feel superficially young.

Students are texting me regularly. At least six math students a week lately, to the point of being fully booked. Each has their own unique story and personality which makes them fascinating. They're respectful and attentive. Being surrounded by youth is contagious.

Will the rest of my life be this way? How long will it last? You never know. So today, and every day, is a good one to spend enjoying the grace of its provisions in thanks.


No comments: