Sunday, April 29, 2012

Paying It Forward: The Week In Thanks

You know, earlier this week I posted about my adventures with my first broken-down-in-the-middle-of-traffic car. What I only touched on was the kindness of the faceless stranger who took the time to tuck that back-of-napkin note under my windshield wiper warning me of the leak in my transmission fluid. I had walked right past that fairly obvious long trail of liquid bread crumbs - twice - oblivious. If it hadn't been for that note, I may not have realized the problem until I'd pulled out into the busiest road in the city. Instead, I altered my path down side streets, which took mountains of pressure off the situation. I'm looking forward to my chance to do someone such a great favor anonymously.

There was exactly one day this week with summery enough weather to sit outside and read. It happened to be the day my car broke down, and was stranded at home all afternoon. So that silver lining was especially bright as I basked on the pool deck. Because it's been a busy week, and probably healthy for me to have a quick unplanned mental vacation.

The talent of the Hairspray cast and crew continues to be a godsend. Truly, every cast member is not only naturally likable but deeply talented. I love how different scenes throughout the show allow each of the leads to perform solo or duet at some point, in ways that I feel sure will have the audience smiling. It is a mighty and increasing commitment, but a re-energizing one. Studies say that being part of a church adds to a person's life span. I think that this Community Players Theatre experience is doing the same. Friday night about half the cast went out for dinner at Applebee's (I hope everyone got the invitation), and one man picked up the check. Another brought in cookies for his birthday. Our directors are willing to work at almost any hour to help us, are sprightly and funny. We occasionally have "pits and peaks" group discussions about the good and bad going on in our lives. It's like a three-month retreat, and the bonding is spilling out. I ask this every week it seems: How did I get so blessed?

I got another new math tutoring student this week through the WyzAnt site. This seed just continues to sprout. That will run the count to eleven different students I've been able to tutor this semester. I recently got certified in geometry, and take my first venture into trigonometry on Monday. It's not a complete surprise, but it is exciting all the same. God's at work again, because every time one student gets confident enough to leave the nest on their own, another one replaces.

Friday was a dreamy day at work, one of those with no meetings, lots of people out of the office, peace and quiet to make some great strides on employee performance reviews. In less than a month I'll have another new employee to supervise, and three interns will start in the department. Right in the heart of spring, these opportunities for growing other people's careers continue to flower.

Saw another waterworks-inducing brand new episode of Undercover Boss this week. It does for me what sermons do for so many, a perspective on the goodness of life and a chance to stir the softest, kindest and most grateful parts of my soul.

So many avenues for growing as a person and (in tiny ways) to help others grow too. I'm going to enjoy the freshness of these gentle rains upon my life-soil for as it lasts.

No comments: