Sunday, December 9, 2012

Celebrating The Skin I'm In: The Week In Thanks

On the list of things I thought I'd never have to be thankful for again, but am, is acne medication. It's come a long way since the 1980's. Proactiv has replaced Clearasil the most recognizable brand, and it does its work well without having to try to match its color with my skin tone. I ought to give a nod of thanks for the fact that 40 year old skin generally doesn't have to deal with this. Positive spin: A reminder of youth!

And why not dwell on days long ago for a while? If I'd had my way I'd have ended up playing video games ten hours a day, and working... where? Somewhere at the mall? My parents guided me into sports, and God gave me enough athletic ability to help overcome insecurities. They gave me an ultimatum after my freshman high school year to spend the summer working or playing basketball against varsity players at the gym. That summer saved my basketball life, as I went from last guy off the bench to varsity starter over the next couple of years.

I hated talking to adults back then. I'd rather stuff my head into a cotton candy machine than engage in that awkward dance. Being in basketball ignited the ambition genes that had been idling within me. Grades went up from the B- level toward the A level. Hung out with friends after game nights. Joined the National Honor Society. Exerted some leadership for the first time as team co-captain. Hit the weight room. That momentum continued through college and into the work force. It was a transforming time, thanks to igniting forces outside myself.

As I was headed to tutor someone the other day I drove past an ugly, smoking traffic accident scene with people running around. It makes me wonder if I would've been part of it had I been on the road a minute earlier? It's a reason to be grateful for red lights and delays - sometimes they could be saving us from disaster.

One day this week my office computer cast forth the famous blue screen of death - then rebooted itself and recovered automatically within five minutes. I'm thankful that my bills are paid by a company where all I have to do to keep my systems working is just sit there for a few minutes and let it happen, or maybe pick up the phone and make one call.

I joined in an impromptu reunion with ten members of my Hairspray family over dinner last night, another reminder of random good fortune that's shone into my life. Several have been blessed with new jobs, karaoke championships, pregnancy, and relationship changes.

Saw the Bulls win last night. Thanks for Tom Thibodeau, the all-defensive coach.

Hidden Bloggers saw my earlier post about the retirement of Al Bowman, president of Illinois State University. As an alumnus of a high school that closed down, I'm glad that my school and our community has been graced by a strong leader and person these last several years.

My football game scheduled for this afternoon was cancelled. You know what? I'd had a knee flare up a few days ago. So it's probably a good thing for a day of rest.

Our basketball team made a long journey to Danville and won both of our basketball games, after dropping a couple tough ones the week before. Got to give thanks for Zach Thompson, who coach Witzig allowed to play with us and calmly dropped 17 points including a perfect 5-for-5 from beyond the 3-point arc.

There are less than two weeks left until daylight starts getting longer again! Today will be spent waiting it out peacefully, taking in a Christmas movie or two and dreaming of another great week filled with basketball, teaching, and blessings to come.

No comments: