Thursday, December 20, 2012

Quiet Strength

Whew! This was the roughest week of work I've had in over 18 months. At one point someone with ulterior motives tried to goad me into bad-mouthing a fellow employee. I was tempted - really tempted - to take advantage of it.

I'm thankful to God that I have lived and failed often enough that on this occasion, I stepped outside myself and thought how many times giving in to this temptation has left me feeling weak in the aftermath. "Hold your tongue," I resolved.

The conversation drifted on, and I had more opportunities to sound off, and I did not.

When I make mistakes of weakness, like sending negative e-mail, the pangs of regret set in within an hour. In this reverse case, it took about three hours and a good nap before the effects started to set in.

The success of those few moments has me feeling now like the entire day was a win.

Often the most important muscles to flex are the ones that shut the lips and still the tongue.

No comments: