Sunday, February 15, 2015

Buoy Scout

"When we see someone approaching a small cliff, we let them fall - that's how they learn." - Anonymous Scoutmaster

On a small scale, this is how I care for Cupcake. She wants to climb atop the fridge. Better to let her see what she can and can't do than to not know, and to live a stagnant life. And also, for me to see what trouble she can or can't get into. Regular readers will recall that this philosophy is how I learned what burning cat fur smells like.

Does anything teach as well as failure? It builds memories that we can use to our advantage, either guiding us toward or away from situations going forward. We might discover a new strength in ourselves. If I hadn't suffered through a summer of playing basketball against seniors as a sophomore, I might never have become a leader of anything, merely a C-student video-game-playing junkie of some type. The hills I've climbed, along with the twisted ankles, have been more satisfying than the view I'd have had from the basement of my parents' house, or wherever I'd have ended up.

No comments: