Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sunrise, Bright Lights And Cocoa: The Week In Thanks

I was fortunate to meet Shellie Papp, another tutor who not only works in the Normal Public Library but who is looking for additional students to serve. So far she's been able to help five student referrals for me, and with the musical occupying so much weekly time for me, it's been quite the blessing. It certainly helps that she's also a believer in God with a kind and energetic personality to boot.

Random shout-out for the week goes to Wendi Fleming. No matter what else is going on in her life, she always finds time to give me a hand when it comes to deciding what my next theater adventure should be. The fact that we usually share those adventures together is a plus!

It's been quite a long stretch of full-functioning kidney health since the stone-passing incident in May 2013. I'm glad it didn't blossom into a recurring issue.

Community Players Theatre held a fun show-announcement party last week, cleverly designed to spread the reveals throughout the evening so that we all had excuses to mingle and snack.

I'm happy that my lifetime overlapped with the late Robin Williams. His broad acting range from the insanely energetic Mork from Ork through the sullen counselor in Good Will Hunting is unlike almost any other of his time.

It was exciting to hear that one of my geometry students got her highest score in ages, a 31 out of 33 on a test.

I was given what turned out to be a productive opportunity to promote the Leadership McLean County program before the Sunrise Rotary Club of Bloomington. For an abnormally early-morning wake-up call, I was surprised by my own performance, and got to reunite with some friends from the past.

Dena stayed up deep into the night doing some volunteer graphic design work. The next morning she already got glowing feedback. An artist subject to the whims of clients often suffers for her craft, and the occasional payoff like this is a well-deserved reward.

Our condominium association carport lights are up and beaming wide swaths of safety and security for all residents. It's an upgrade that's been 20 years in the making, adds a lot of class to the look of the place, and gives me satisfaction to have run the point successfully on this project.

We had a fruitful meeting with an attorney to gain some education on collecting debt from defaulting condominium owners, which should continue to add value to the property.

Another random shout-out: Sally Baugh from Community Players. We seldom cross paths but when we do, she always has this twinkle and energy about her that adds a little life to my day.

Constructive feedback for improvement makes an average person above average. Thanks to Alan Wilson (theater) and Mike Lieder (band), two straight shooters with the stones to tell it like it is.

Finally, as we pass winter's halfway point, I've become fond of the cookies & cocoa provided at the church after the evening Mass. Sort of a prize for eating well the rest of the week, and a pick-me-up to start the new week off right.

No comments: