Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sugar, Scoundrels, And Visions Of Spring: The Week In Thanks

As much as I enjoy singing in the church band, a day off is also a healthy thing, especially when there's blogging to do.

A quite snowy Super Bowl Sunday actually had some 50 patrons in attendance for the 5:30 Mass, which probably therefore establishes a baseline. When you start up a new venture anything goes, and in this case the average of 100 guests per late-day Mass has been validation of the time spent. Plus the post-Mass cocoa and donuts has become a personal reward for staying off sugar during the week.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is shaping up, as is the mustache. Theater always stretches my life in positive new ways however small. In this case I'm slowly learning to dance and to walk like a drunk. The staff plans our rehearsals down to the minute. Since it costs me $40/hr to be there, it's a happy must-have that's been fulfilled.

I currently have 22 tutoring students, with upside of at least two more this week, plus have directed at least another nine to partner Shellie. The two of us had lunch this week to talk shop and agreed that things are going well. Without Shellie I'd be saying "no" right and left, and no one wants to do that. She's a blessing at the perfect time.

We've discovered a Netflix series called "America: The Story of Us" that's been both entertaining and a sermon on the grit that our forefathers had in building our free nation and strengthening it with technology and resilience against threats. Remembering that you're part of an economic powerhouse is an energizing event.

I had a meeting with a large local insurance company's HR department this week to re-acquaint with the Leadership McLean County program and brainstorm tactics to strengthen the partnership. With luck it will translate into an on-site informational meeting.

Whenever I'm in the midst of failing at something, I remember how many times Abraham Lincoln failed, and how great he became. Whenever I'm tempted to condemn, I remember his words about how easily I could be on the other side. I'm thankful for his continual influence in my life. Someone recently described me as the type of person who brings, rather than takes, energy when he enters a room. Examples like Lincoln, by God's provision, have helped me to see the brightness in most things.

The NCHS basketball team is crushing it, with only one loss deep into the season and over twenty wins. The fantasy basketball team is also crushing it, with an almost insurmountable 13 point lead midway through the season. And fantasy baseball is fully on the radar, with drafts just six weeks away.

If my newest nephew Max Freidinger is like his parents, the world just became a much better, kinder and funnier place.

Winter is more than halfway over... only 34 days 'til spring!

No comments: