Sunday, March 23, 2008

10 Years from Now?

Dena and I had a quiet dinner at the Ozark House restaurant on our anniversary before catching the late show of "College Road Trip" (campy, with some memorable belly laughs like the karaoke mike in the Japanese tour bus singing "Sister Christian.") What might the future hold?

Jobs: Will Rose Publishing still exist once the primary supplier from Caterpillar retires? Dena's looked around locally for graphic design work at large organizations like State Farm and Illinois State and found intense competition. She may find full-time work somewhere in town in the service sector, or back to school to increase her prospects for graphic design work. I'll be in the tax department overseeing some significant turnover (Jody/Kitty's retirements) or back in the actuarial department presiding over fewer than 25 employees. There's an outside chance that I'd shift careers within State Farm if it would preserve or increase work/life balance.

Church: Dena will attend Eastview Christian Church.

Community service: This is a tough one. I know that I will be involved in something, and also have yet to find a cause compelling enough to donate much more than three years to. Something in the leadership and/or sports arena seems a good bet, given my interests and talents. Something that involves writing or public speaking is a good candidate. I doubt that I'll be involved in any of my current activities, with the possible exception of basketball coaching. It's become critical to me that the leader be an organized and responsive person. Those type of people rarely stay in place for ten years!

Exercise: Where will my knees and back be in 2018? It may finally be time for me to take up golf, or at least walking/jogging on a regular basis.

Fun: Fantasy sports, especially baseball, will still be a staple. Video games have been a constant for twenty years and there's no reason to think that will evaporate completely. Movies and TV comedy will be on the docket. I'll still read non-fiction -- biographies, history, current magazines.

Around the house: "Love Shack" baby! At some point I might be relieved as condo board treasurer, but the odds are that I'll be in that role for at least six of the next ten years.

Family: Mom will be out of the Bloomingdale house and into something smaller. Our grandparents will pass away and our parents will not. Jack will move out of town, maybe out of state? We'll add one more in-law (Kurt's spouse) and three more nieces/nephews with the last name Freidinger.

And of course, Country Joe's popularity will fade with age, edging Hidden Blog to new heights!

No comments: