Sunday, March 30, 2008

Think WIN!

"Whenever you face a crucial decision, think WIN!" -- Lou Holtz

I face some crucial decisions at work at the moment. What questions should be asked in order to make a more informed and unbiased decision?

1. Who would my direct reports be?
2. What committees or meetings would I be expected to attend regularly?
3. What travel would be involved?
4. What opportunities to train exist?
5. What budget authority would I have?
6. Who is doing these duties currently?
7. What areas of compliance would I be responsible for?
8. What aspects of health rate filing would be required?
9. What aspects of illustrations would be required?
10. What types of inquiries arise?
11. What gives you confidence that this is an appropriate workload for one person?
12. Why have employees left the department?
13. What's your opinion of the new company dress philosophy?
14. What are examples of Systems projects that this unit is involved with?
15. What does "peer review" mean regarding in force business?
16. What opportunities for improving performance exist?
17. Can this job be outsourced?
18. What would my top 2008 goals be?

It's easy to think WIN here. Any job that I get is well-paid by a stable employer.

No comments: