Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Pure Hustle 10: Part 2

Actually, there have been several "parts" since I posted part 1. Last time I provided the benchmarks for a 100 point season:

Runs: 91
Home runs: 24
Runs batted in: 93
Stolen bases: 13
Batting average: .293
Wins: 14
Saves: 26
Strikeouts: 172
Earned run average: 3.64
Walks/hits per inning pitched: 1.25

Using a spreadsheet tool that I developed, I did about fifty "mock drafts." Since draft position is a major influence in the results, I did about 4 drafts assuming that I got the number 1 pick, 4 at number 2, etc. with a goal of reaching 100 points. For a numbers guy it's an exciting experience! I didn't set out to do fifty drafts... it's just that with each iteration I'd see a slight adjustment that could bump up the overall points, which would in turn affect the results of every other possible draft position so I had to re-test them. Some discoveries surprised me.

Starting pitching is not as important as I'd originally believed. In truth, there are some real good buys at midrange rankings. For example, pitcher Roy Halladay sat with a ranking of 100. Except for strikeouts, this guy is solid money in all categories. The same goes for Aaron Harang (weakness of ERA, in hitter-friendly Cincinnati), who at number 76 was easy to move up in my own ranking to snag. Other guys like Chad Billingsley just haven't made their way into the spotlight, but work for great teams or in pitcher's playgrounds like Dodger Stadium. Even without the Johan Santanas and Jake Peavys of the world, it's very possible to line your bullpen solidly.

Stars at offensively thin positions are golden! I'd no plans to go after catchers Victor Martinez or Russell Martin, or 2B Brandon Phillips -- until I experimented moving them up "just to see," and saw my points leap by 5 or 6. I'm a believer! By the end, my lowest point total was 97.5.

Having settled on a ranking, I'm testing it live, by setting up a series of teams that I consider "minor leagues." I don't intend to manage these once drafted, I just want to see if lousy lineups result that'd alert me to some shifts I need to make before the "real" draft.

The results have been excellent so far! In fact, the urge is growing to do my real draft much sooner than expected (I usually wait until just before Opening Day, to reduce the likelihood of a preseason injury).

Test 2: 108.5
Test 3: 103.5

No comments: