Sunday, March 23, 2008

10 Years!

Friday was the ten-year anniversary of Dena and my wedding. What's changed since then?

Jobs: Dena worked full-time as a bookkeeper at Goodfield State Bank in Goodfield. Now she's working part-time as a graphic designer for Rose Publishing. I worked as a life insurance reserve actuary for State Farm, and was taking actuarial exams. Now I'm a life insurance tax actuary there, managing the Life Tax Department, and have been done with exams since 2000.

Church: We were members of Calvary United Methodist Church. Today I still believe in God though I don't belong to a church or engage in formal worship; for the moment, Dena is still a member of Calvary and has been visiting other churches.

Community service: I was the president of the ISU Honors Alumni Network, and Dena was active in a Community Bankers' Association. Today Dena's position as chair of Calvary's Outreach Committee has led her to do disaster relief in Mississippi, as well as nearby Pontiac. I'm active in Leadership McLean County and coaching basketball at the YMCA.

Exercise: I was in State Farm's basketball and volleyball leagues. Today I play basketball 1-3 times a week at Four Seasons, and am in State Farm's sand volleyball, soccer and flag football leagues. I sub on a State Farm softball team and play full-time on Calvary's softball team.

Fun: We had no computer; now we have two. I play a handful of "fantasy" sports, read books on leadership and sports magazines. We watched movies (and still do), we also have DVR and watch all kinds of shows like Law and Order, Scrubs, and The Office. Tecmo Bowl has been replaced by Madden 2008.

Around the house: The "Love Shack" is totally revamped for the better! Only the coffee table remains in the living room. Appliances (except the washer/dryer) and furniture are all replaced. I'm in my sixth year as condo board treasurer and soon even the roof will be new. Condo fees were about $75 and are now $130.

Family: Dad's no longer with us, and Mom's got two new knees and has retired. Dena's Dad retired. Jack's moved from the State Farm call center to its catastrophe team. The number of nieces and nephews rose from five to nine; added three new in-laws (Jane, Thad, Becky).

And of course, Hidden Blog has emerged as the hottest Country Joe McDonald chasing phenomenon on the planet!

No comments: