Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ethics Panel

I was asked to participate on a panel of speakers regarding ethics in corporations. Putting me on an ethics panel is like asking Cookie Monster to teach table manners, but when fate comes a-knockin' you gotta answer the door. I was expecting to be posed some impossibly hypothetical dilemma like: "Your kidney matches that of the single father of quintuplets at the top of the donor recipient list. It also matches that of the #2 person, your mother. The kidney will go to the father, who's been waiting at the top of the list for two years and has a week to live, unless you invoke a clause for relatives. To whom do you donate?" Then there'd be a chance that my answer of "I don't donate organs" would create this uneasy tension in the room, exhaust the good karma...

In reality it went fairly tamely. The toughest one was "You stepped out of bounds before making the state championship winning basket. The ref didn't see it clearly and asks you if you did. What do you say?" I've actually been in similar situations before. If the ref asks me, I've been honest. If no one asks, I don't tell.

My services are available for hire!

No comments: