Sunday, August 3, 2008

Carrots And Sticks

"I came to the conclusion that when choosing between the carrot and the stick as a motivational tool, the well-chosen carrot was almost always more powerful and longer lasting than the stick. In fact, simply withholding a properly selected carrot can become a most forceful punishment and powerful motivator. Its denial creates desire; the carrot becomes a stick.

I believe the strongest and most meaningful motivators are not necessarily the materialistic, but the intangible. In that regard, there is perhaps no better carrot than approval from someone you truly respect.

I avoided the phrase 'That's great!' Instead, I would say, 'Good, very good. That's getting better. That's the idea. Now you're getting it. Good.' My tone was measured and my demeanor controlled. And I was honest." -- John Wooden

So many lessons in there... appreciation is ranked #1 above even compensation among most employees according to many studies. Respect is often given to those who care the most. And what better way to show you care than to take notice of something specific that a person's done? Why let a chance to say 'thank you' or 'good job' slide by? We wouldn't buy a gift and let it sit on a shelf. The opportunity to make the most of the good times in life is worth every effort.

No comments: