Thursday, August 21, 2008

Favorite Leadership Books

My friend Brandi recently asked me for my favorite leadership book. Here's what I said:

"My personal favorite is Good to Great by Jim Collins. Now, that one is only slightly focused on the characteristics of a leader, and spends more time on the characteristics of great companies. It taught me quite a bit about focusing on what you do well and not on numbers or flashy campaigns.

A book that's more about teamwork is 5 Dysfunctions of a Team, a very quick read told in the form of a parable.

One of my favorites regarding personal change is 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Covey), even though it's not directly about leadership. Two others are How to Win Friends and Influence People (Dale Carnegie), and Power of Positive Thinking (Norman Vincent Peale) which has a Christian bent.

My favorite leader is Abraham Lincoln, and my two favorites there are Lincoln on Leadership (Phillips) and The Words of Abraham Lincoln which is a collection of his letters, speeches, etc. (Lubin, 500 pages!)."

No comments: