Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Peace Of Your Mind

"Peace of mind produces right values, right values produce right thoughts. Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for other to see the serenity at the center of it all." -- Robert Pirsig

Lately I've caught myself examining my own state of mind in the midst of a stressful situation, and that's made the difference in thriving through it:

1. Leadership McLean County class member selection is inherently an exercise in compromise, the class I'd choose varying from that which anyone else on the commitee would choose. What brings peace of mind there? That I'm as error-prone as anyone, and that the combined choice of the group may be the best of all.

2. Watching the Cubs blow a three-run lead for their ace pitcher Carlos Zambrano. In the end, the Cubs might still win the game, and eventually their division; Carlos doesn't get credit for the win, but he's still among the richest pitchers in baseball; and is my own life impacted in any significant way, really?

In the long run, I think it's not most important whether you win or lose, but how you carry yourself and treat others throughout -- hopefully with a smile on the face.

No comments: