Monday, September 22, 2008

Great Leaders

From Lou Tice. A couple of things do stand out to me as being personally affirming here... I do take development seriously and intentionally and would consider it exciting if my employees were someday my boss... what better evidence of successful teaching? I meet with each of my supervisors for an hour each week. During those meetings we talk specifically about the strengths, weaknesses, and desires of each employee in order to brainstorm for possible projects in the upcoming year. I'm finding during my early days in the new jobs that it often takes two such meetings per employee in order to come up with something that feels truly solid. Succession plans, training, organization... it all energizes me to be helping people in that way...

What makes great leaders great? Is it attitude? Is it the number of people
following them? Or could it be something else? What do you think a good
leader does? Run the show? Tell others what to do? My friend Lee Baca,
Sheriff of Los Angeles County in California, has some interesting ideas
about leadership.

He believes, and I agree, that great leaders love problems. Great leaders
will always run to the solution of a problem, not away from it. And with
this attitude, this skill of not being afraid to face a challenge head-on,
they bring along those they lead in the quest to find these solutions.

Something I've noticed as I've studied leadership over the years is that
great leaders naturally develop those around them and teach them to be
leaders too. They do it all the time, because competition or the new
generation coming up behind them does not threaten them.

Great leaders earn the trust of those who follow them. It wouldn't occur to
a great leader to think of the people he or she leads as subordinates or in
any way inferior. They respect the unique talents and worth of every
individual, and can step aside and allow someone more qualified to lead when
the situation calls for it.

Great leaders are not in a quest for personal power. They are, though,
passionate about their purpose and can inspire others to feel strongly as
well. What do you think? Who qualifies as a great leader in your book?

No comments: