Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Y, Oh Y

I ended up deciding to go with the YMCA again this fall, rather than the tempting offer to coach the team at Game Time Gym. The main drivers:

- Shorter season. Last year I was ready for it to end after four months. This year I'll have an assistant, and maybe that will prove enough to keep it exciting for the 6-month GTG league in a future year.

- Life changes, and the impact on free time. I'm still getting the hang of my new job, and rather than starting a season in October, the extra two months before the start of the Y season will be helpful. Plus, with the Chamber of Commerce undergoing turnover, I may have to work harder than usual for Leadership McLean County.

- Trust. John Anderson from the Y impressed me as an excellent communicator who responds to e-mail timely. That kind of fit has been rare for me, and one that means a lot.

- Competitiveness. At the Y, everyone's governed by the same rules. At GTG, there may be uneven expectations of parents as far as playing time, so some teams who play their stars longer may have a natural advantage.

There's a chance that the Y won't need a head coach if it has enough parent volunteers. If that happens, then I can always put my hat in the ring for the GTG team, their coach might even be ready to give me the reins. Whatever happens, it's all good.

No comments: