Sunday, September 21, 2008

No Grief, No Gain

"Most worthwhile things in the competitive world come wrapped in adversity. Good leaders understand this and are inclined to see the truth in this verse:

Looking back it seems to me,
All the grief that had to be.
Left me when the pain was o'er,
Stronger than I was before.
"

I've spent some time this weekend pondering how to get back into shape. It occurred to me that it didn't use to require a lot of thought on my part, exercise was something that I did for fun. Everyday after school, Jack and I would slip into play clothes and head to the basement, the backyard or the street to play some kind of ball. Nowadays things are a little easier in one sense (no homework) but busier in others (LMC, condo board, Hidden Blog, reading).

Still, even it there's 'pain' in carving out the extra time to play some ball, wouldn't it be worth it? Some days will just be long... for example, this week with the LMC retreat it means that I'll be switching to a 10-hour work schedule. If I were to get up at 5am to play some basketball, then put in ten hours, and still get a decent night's sleep, say by 9pm, then I'd have fairly little time to truly relax. However, there are some things working in favor of it:

Fantasy baseball season is winding down. If I could essentially replace that computer time with the exercise time, there'd be not much loss. During non-LMC weeks, if I shifted my work start time to 7:00, then I'd be out at 3:15 which would not only give a little extra time in the evenings, but would let me leave with a little daylight once winter sets in. And since the hoopsters play M,W,F, then I really wouldn't have to go to bed early every night of the week... and if I couldn't fall asleep one night, there's always the Saturday morning option to fall back on.

This week there's a soccer playoff and a flag football game, so I wouldn't need to jump into this right away. But the thought is growing more strongly...

No comments: