Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Realistic Optimist

"Be a realistic optimist and remind yourself that things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out." - John Wooden

As I sit here on day 2 of the "before the rooster crows" morning wake-up experiment, I can look back at yesterday's season-ending 5-1 soccer playoff loss with a good deal of happiness. Our team was expected to lose by at least that much, as the #8 seed against the #1 seed, and we were tied until late in the first half. I survived the usual flurry of running, after a month of inactivity, including enough wooziness at the end of the first half that had me staggering toward the car to get my reserve bottle of sports drink that I usually don't need until the ride home (meaning that I'd already downed an entire bottle). That memory of exhaustion is one that I hope will drive me back onto an exercise routine that will have me back near my explosive best by the time next April rolls around!

No comments: