Friday, September 25, 2009

The Anatomy Of A Yeah

I was in the middle of a conversation at work trying to resolve an issue, when a sort of glossy look came over his face and he uttered a distracted "Yeah." Have you been there before? There's art in human relations. In the next breath I could've told him that Tiger Woods was babysitting my kids tonight and he wouldn't have flinched. When we have a point to make, why not wait until the person's listening, and listening with a receptive mind? I could have fallen into a world of my own, enjoying the sound of selling the idea without regard for his attentiveness, wasting a slice of both of our lives.

I changed the topic briefly, which brought him back. Eventually, I led back into it once his mind was refocused, and the motion carried!

No comments: