Friday, September 25, 2009

The Soloist

A friend sold me on this for the good music, and there's definitely some brilliant play for the fan of the symphony. But this story is about the plight of the American homeless - all 80,000 in Los Angeles and 3 million in America. An unlikely relationship blooms between a newspaper writer and a street musician with a violin down to its last two strings. The lifelong setbacks and gripping story of this former Juliard student intertwine heartwarmingly with the struggle of the columnist to accept that sometimes a life well lived is about enjoying and listening to the world rather than trying to change it.

I'm glad I got the DVD, with its special feature infomercial about the efforts going on to help the hopeless. It's worth the money!

2 comments:

freid207 said...

If you liked this, might I recommend an AWESOME book I just finished called "Same Kind of Different as Me" by Ron Hall and Vincent somebody or another. Really excellent...

Anonymous said...

Just moved this flick up a few spots on my netflix que.