Monday, November 30, 2009

Employee Opinion Survey

Employees at my company are "strongly encouraged" to participate in these surveys, and it's that time of year when they are conducted. I completed all of the questions... and then trashed it. Because even though as a supervisor I've generally fared well in these types of things, I think that real teamwork is developed through the courage of face-to-face feedback, rather than cloaking it in anonymity. Where's the honor in criticizing for the first time in this fashion? In my trial run I pretended that my superiors were in the room with me, so that I was accountable to explain every answer that I provided. Where I'm dissatisfied, is it legitimate or am I playing victim in my weakness? If I wasn't comfortable sharing an answer on that basis, then it's cowardly for me to submit it anonymously. In a healthy team environment, leaders have both the courage to ask for and the willingness to respond to coaching from their charges. And they have to preach, through their actions, all year long that they are open-minded and humble enough to see that other ideas will often be right. A leader who does any less will always underperform their potential.

No comments: