Friday, November 27, 2009

Fresh Paint

What would you choose, if you could? To be sick or healthy? Dying or growing? Moving forward or backward? Energetic or tired?

When I wake up in the morning, what are the first thoughts that cross my mind? Of the day's responsibilities or hopes? Of yesterday's failures, or today's promise? Of things lost or possessed?

Black Friday's traditionally the opposite of mainstream America for me, a day of deep sleep and leisurely awakening. And whether it's there or in life's other idle moments my mind's a clean canvas. What do I paint it with?

I have two palettes to draw my paint from. You remember what a used palette looks like... some brown or black mixed in with the yellows and greens. There's some pure color to draw from it, but why not reach instead for the fresh palette with its bright and flawless colors?

As a rolled about I recalled an exchange with a co-worker this week that could have gone better and let it start to darken the early morning fog in my head. Why would I relive this? A spacious sunny holiday stretched ahead. All I had to do is crawl out from under the soft comforter to use a fully healthy body, able mind, abundant resources and freedom to create an exciting future. I'll lift some weights, enjoy a relaxing shower, watch Alabama beat Auburn, watch a good movie with Dena, think ahead to basketball practice for next week. And of course spend some quality time with Hidden Bloggers!

No comments: