Saturday, November 21, 2009

God At 3:00

I almost entitled this "The Sleeping Will Discontinue Until The Stabbings Cease," because I watched a few foo many episodes of police murder investigation shows and woke up from a dream where I was stabbed while trying to enter my car.

I've blogged before about my pondering whether there's some divine guidance in the fact that often when I'm awakened in the night it's right around 3:00, like tonight. I took the opportunity to keep reading the book "Longshot" by deaf Mormon NBA player Lance Allred and came upon this passage:

"The argument about whether altruism is possible is synonymous with the question of whether it's possible to be a selfless Christian. Even if we're silent in our charitable deeds, are we not, as Christians, still hoping that God is watching us and that he will reward us, thus making our actions indeed selfish? I believe there's a God who loves me, but I don't plan on that making a difference. I don't plan on being rewarded in heaven, as I feel this helps my deeds be more altruistic. Planning on a heaven leads to expectations, and expectations lead to a sense of entitlement."

Amid the ongoing personal crusade of trying not to judge or to change people, avoiding entitlement is a handy way to go!

No comments: