Friday, November 20, 2009

NCHS Basketball Parents' Night

After a dramatic three days of waiting to see if my background check would clear, I found myself sitting in the Normal Community High School cafeteria for Parents' Night - the first time that parents hear from the men that will be leading their boys for the next five months. Or should I say the men that have been leading their boys for eight practices already, while the CIA and FBI were no doubt interviewing my kindergarten teacher to see if I had a glue-sniffing habit.

As head varsity coach Dave Witzig began his introductions and gave way to the impressive lady who explained how fund raising works, it occurred to me that however unfamiliar the scene might be to me, it's probably as unsettled for the kids on the team recently dethroned from the top of junior high. As Dave introduced me for the first time as the assistant froshman coach, I told myself that however bare my coaching experience might be, I'd lived the experience of subbing on a froshman "B" team. I'd sweated through three summers of workouts to improve, and co-captained the varsity in senior year. So I could wave toward the faces of the guys on the team, both us of seeing each other for the first time, and sincerely believe that any one of them could find their way to the top of the program. Work is the key, but good teachers and strong support can make a big difference. Hopefully I can learn to contribute that.

No comments: